Monday 28 March 2011

StartUp Britain

I have got to have a rant!

Leaving political affiliations to one side, I am seething at the half-cocked nature of the new StartUp Britain initiative - http://www.startupbritain.org./

There has been a lot of ranting on Twitter this morning, not least from the design industry that, quite rightly, is collectively shocked that there are links to US design companies. At least support UK companies in this initiative, and only UK companies. This country has a rich and enviable culture of cutting-edge design in all disciplines, but advocating that start-ups get their logos from a US company? Insulting.

I can also understand the comments being made from within Northern Ireland - StartUp Britain or StartUp UK?

My second grievance is that most of the information dressed up on the StartUp Britain website has been freely available via BusinessLink for as long as I can remember. I can't see this scheme offering anything new that will really help the new entrepreneur, or am I missing something?

Thirdly, and most importantly, every new business needs MONEY! I started our business up two years ago, and could I get any funding? I drafted an extensive and very detailed Business Plan, had a very realistic cash flow forecast, sought the advice of Business Link and knew the nature of my proposed business like the back of my hand. The banks were not interested unless I put up 50% of the capital. My problem was that there was no equity in my house, due to the recession, and although I was owed money from a former employer, I wouldn't get to see any of that as they had gone into Administration.

It is easy to get funding if you have a property with spare equity. If you don't, you are up the proverbial creek.

There are many organisations that help the younger generation - the Prince's Trust being the most laudable. I was advised of another today who provides awards over the course of the year (http://www.shell-livewire.org/awards/ ), but the upper age limit is 30! I am 48. Interestingly, this recession affected many small business owners, and employees, all aged over 30, whose skills and experience would make them perfect for this latest round of StartUp enthusiasm. Where is the help for these people?

I have spent two years building up my business, and still receive no help whatsoever. I have been fortunate in that I have two work colleagues who have believed in the business enough to work for nothing. I am an employer, pay VAT, corporation tax and Employer PAYE/NIC. I give something back, but can honestly say that I got nothing to help me get here.

Recycling the same old platitudes is not going to help get this country back on its financial feet.

Oh, and please use UK businesses to help you with your StartUp!

2 comments:

  1. Encouraging people to start a business is a fantastic idea, but #startupbritain is basically a lot of back slapping between celebrities and big companies all telling each other how great they are. In reality, the web site is just a list of special offers which have been freely available on the web for months. As a small business I want to tax breaks, more banks lending and less red tape.. not 20% off at Glasses Direct for all entrepreneurs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant comment, Jane, and I couldn't agree more. These schemes are superficial. Small businesses and would-be entrepreneurs need real, hands-on help and an economy that encourages increased spending amongst the small business community. No confidence: No spending = No Start-ups!

    ReplyDelete